Pages tagged with: erebus disaster

Only one portion of the fuselage of the Air New Zealand DC-10 remained intact on the icy slopes of Mt Erebus.
How the fatal Air New Zealand Flight TE901 came to be named after an image from space
A 26-kg koru-shaped capsule located beside the Erebus disaster memorial cross on Mt Erebus.
Erebus memorial plaque at Kihikihi
Family members of Erebus disaster victims were invited to the unveiling of Momentum, a sculpture marking the significant events in Air New Zealand’s history.
The debate over who was to blame for the crash continues today.
Sound file from the memorial service held at St Paul's Cathedral, Wellington
Sound extract from the Erebus memorial service at Scott Base on 2 December 1979
After confirmation was received that no one had survived the crash of TE901, expressions of sympathy began to arrive from around the country and around the world.
Resignations and court action followed the Erebus disaster inquiry
Deputy Leader at Scott Base, Ted Robinson, and building services officer, Garth Varcoe making the Erebus memorial cross that was dedicated in December 1979
Initial memorials and memorial services to mark the Erebus disaster
Recognition for contributions to the Erebus Operation Overdue has come in a number of ceremonies since 1980.
Judge Mahon disagreed with Chippindale's 'probable cause' that the pilot was at fault, and cleared the crew of any responsibility for the accident. He laid the blame squarely with Air New Zealand.
Calls for a public inquiry into the Erebus disaster, which had begun shortly after the accident, continued amid the controversy of who received Chippindale's interim report.
How news of the Erebus disaster was relayed back to New Zealand
Few of those involved in the recovery and identification of victims from the Erebus disaster could have been truly prepared for the task ahead.
On 22 January 1980 a special inquest was opened by the Auckland district coroner, Allan Copeland, into the deaths of the 257 people on board Flight TE901.
As those involved in the recovery operation headed to Antarctica in the immediate aftermath of the Erebus disaster, work was also under way in New Zealand to help identify the victims that they recovered.
Within a few hours investigators had found the flight recorders from Air New Zealand Flight TE901