Abel Tasman was a Dutch navigator who in 1642 made the first recorded European sighting of New Zealand. An easy five-minute walking track leads to a viewing platform and the memorial, which stands on a limestone outcrop above the sea. Built in 1942 to commemorate the tercentenary of Tasman’s visit, the memorial was ‘reopened’ in 1992 by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
Information from the Department of Conservation website. Read more here.