An Armstrong RBL 9-pounder gun on a steel carriage. Armstrong guns were used during the New Zealand Wars, most notably during the bombardment of Gate Pa on 29 April 1864.
This particular gun was purchased by the New Zealand Government in 1886 for the Auckland Volunteer Artillery. After being discovered in a disused mineshaft in Thames the gun was rescued by the local Returned Services' Association and restored in a Papakura workshop. The gun is currently on display at the National Army Museum Te Mata Toa.