Katikati war memorial hall and roll of honour board.
Sue Baker-Wilson has kindly provided the following information about this hall:
‘At a 1943 public meeting the Katikati community decided to build the hall as a memorial of WW1, and the then current war. A Queen's Carnival in the early 1950's set the hall project wheels in motion, raising over 7000 pounds to build Katikati's War Memorial Hall. It was opened Oct 4, 1954 by the then Governor General, Sir Willoughby Norrie. It was built by H D R (Hilton ) Rayment, known as Chook – a fighter pilot gunned down during the war – on a section the committee bought beside the then Post Office. When the BNZ bank found out what the land was being used for, it gifted the section alongside to provide a larger one. For extra space the loges on either side of the hall were filled in later, and an adjoining hall lounge was built in the early 1980's.’