Limehills war memorial.
Information from Vince Boyle:
Limehills memorial was restored by local folk about 2002. It was masked by a hedge but that was removed to reveal the simple column surrounded by concrete steps.
The names inscribed appear to be listed in the order they enlisted and include two men who were killed. The memorial was unveiled on 20 December 1916 which must make it one of the earliest such monuments in Southland/New Zealand. It can now be seen from SH6 8km north of Winton.
On Anzac day 2015, Limehills school designed and encouraged the addition of iron gates depicting 2 standing soldiers with bowed heads, and a gravel path lined with metal poppies to the original Limehills Community War Memorial. Click on last two thumbnails above to see these additions