Dr Margaret Cruikshank was the first woman doctor registered in New Zealand and served in Waimate from 1897 to 1918. She died during the 1918 influenza pandemic and a memorial statue was unveiled in 1923.
Situated on the corner of Seddon Square in Waimate, the monument was sculpted by Trethewey and Berry of Christchurch. On it were carved the words 'The Beloved Physician/Faithful unto Death'. The 3-m-high figure was cut out of Italian marble, the largest block ever imported into New Zealand, and the sculptors were complimented on the excellent likeness achieved.