This shows the return of the Maori Pioneer Battalion to Putiki pa, Wanganui, in 1918. The Moutoa flag is in the centre. This flag was presented in 1865 by the ladies of Wanganui to lower Whanganui iwi to mark their success at Moutoa Island against Pai Marire warriors who threatened the settlement of Wanganui in 1864.
The New Zealand (Maori) Pioneer Battalion was the only battalion of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force to return to New Zealand as a complete unit. Because of this, it received a rousing welcome home with parades and receptions throughout the country. A Maori pioneer rugby team toured the country for a series of provincial games.