Crew on board the HMNZS Leander enjoy a game of tug of war in the Indian Ocean. The Leander-class cruiser Leander was commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1931 as HMS Leander. It became one of the Royal New Zealand Navy’s main combat units when it succeeded the New Zealand Division of the Royal Navy on 1 October 1941 (at which point its designation changed from 'HMS' to 'HMNZS'). One of New Zealand's biggest warships, Leander was also to become one of our most famous as it saw action in the Indian and Pacific Oceans.
Official History of New Zealand in the Second World War, 1939-45: The Royal New Zealand Navy, 1956.
How to cite this page
'Tug of war on HMNZS Leander', URL: http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo/tug-war-hmnzs-leander, (Ministry for Culture and Heritage), updated 20-Dec-2012