Victoria College (now Victoria University of Wellington) was founded in 1897 to mark Queen Victoria’s 60th jubilee. In contrast to the strong physical presence the University has today, the College had no permanent accommodation in its first few years. The founding professors and early students had to make do with rented rooms at the Girls’ High School in Pipitea Street and the Technical School in Victoria Street.
The eventual siting of the College in Kelburn was the result of an offer from wealthy Wairarapa sheep farmer Charles Pharazyn. In February 1901 Pharazyn offered to donate £1000 (equivalent to $170,000 in 2011) if the College was built on Kelburne Park Reserve, a 6-acre (2.4-ha) site. He claimed that his offer was an expression of his attachment to Wellington rather than the result of his large financial interest in the Kelburne Karori Tramway Company. The Company’s cable car opened the following year and over the years has transported thousands of Victoria’s students.
Governor Lord Plunket laid the foundation stone for the building in the presence ‘of a large number of ladies and gentlemen interested in the cause of higher education’. He also opened the building on its completion in 1906. It was eventually named the Hunter Building in 1959 in memory of Sir Thomas Hunter, the first Principal of the College. The building was restored and strengthened in 1992–3 and remains in use. The University is now spread over four campuses throughout the city.
Image: Hunter Building in 1908 (Timeframes)