Pages tagged with: ferries

The new century brought mixed fortunes for Cook Strait’s ‘iron bridge’.
The 13,906-ton Straitsman (ex-Dueodde), seen here at Picton in 2013, is the newest Cook Strait ferry. Its tall forward accommodation block and clear stern top deck gives it a different appearance to the other ships.
Video about the Cook Strait; the body of water that separates New Zealand's North and South Islands.
The Interislander ferry features in The A to Z of New Zealand stamp series produced by New Zealand Post in 2008.
The Wahine (right) reverses into the new Lyttelton ferry terminal, while the Maori is berthed at another wharf. The image was taken shortly after the Wahine came into service in 1966.
The Maori was built in 1953 and later converted to a roll-on roll-off ship.
The Hinemoa passes the Union Steam Ship Company's trans-Tasman liner Monowai, berthed at the Queen's Wharf outer tee.
HMS Wahine sports the ‘dazzle’ camouflage used to break up the ship’s silhouette.
The first Wahine is seen after hitting Pipitea Wharf in thick fog in 1936.
Seen here at Wellington in 1951, the ferries Rangatira and the Hinemoa were near-sisters, serving together until the mid-1960s.
The King and Queen of Thailand were some of the VIPs who travelled aboard the first Rangatira.
Heavy seas sometimes caused minor damage to the ships, which had to reduce speed. This is the first Rangatira after a storm in 1951.
This large waka mural decorated the second Wahine's cafeteria.
By the time the second Rangatira entered service in 1972, overnight voyaging no longer appealed to many people.
The first Wahine is seen here at the end of its career, carrying troops to the Korean War.
The Maori is pictured berthed at Lyttelton around 1910.
The Maori is pictured soon after its entry into service.
Arthur Hayden's watercolour shows the Maori alongside the Wellington inter-island berth.
In 1895 the old Penguin initiated regular sailings between Lyttelton and Wellington. Fourteen years later, while running between Picton and Wellington, the Penguin sank with the loss of 75 lives.
The Union Steam Ship Company was formed in Dunedin in 1875, and its ships made their last sailings 125 years later.

Pages