This web feature was written by Ben Schrader and produced by the NZHistory.net.nz team.
Michael Joseph Savage biography (Dictionary of New Zealand Biography)
Fletcher Construction's photographic archive contains many interesting images spanning the company's long association with the construction of state housing in New Zealand.
Housing New Zealand's housing strategy
Christchurch City Library's brief history of state housing in Canterbury
Gordon Wilson biography (Dictionary of New Zealand Biography)
Gordon Wilson biography (1966 Encyclopedia)
Most of the Labour Cabinet helped the McGregor family move into 12 Fife Lane in Miramar, Wellington. The government's aim was to rid New Zealand of sub-standard housing by building 5000 new homes a year.
To tackle the housing crisis in the late 1930s the Labour government created the Department of Housing Construction. With the help of Fletcher Construction, 3445 state houses were constructed in three years.
A group of under-fives hold an animated meeting in Jutland Street, Waterloo, c. 1945. Note the woman (possibly a mother of one or more of the children) watching the 'performance' through the window of the flat-roofed house.
The National government introduced full market rents in 1991 to reduce the state role in housing provision. From the start, public debate over state housing policy in New Zealand has centred on this very issue: how far should governments intervene in the housing market.
Virtually indistinguishable from private dwellings built in the early 20th century, these two-storey semi-detached houses in Coromandel Street, Newtown, Wellington, were constructed as part of the Liberal government's workers' dwellings scheme.
In this plan for the Maori housing settlement at Waiwhetu, Lower Hutt (c. 1947), houses are clustered around a marae, with the Waiwhetu Stream in the foreground. The complex subsequently built closely resembled this plan.
One of Housing New Zealand's recent developments is this $9.9 million, 51-unit apartment complex in Hillsborough Road, Lynfield, Auckland. Designed mainly for older tenants, it was opened in March 2003.