This memorial gateway to the Māori village and geothermal area of Whakarewarewa commemorates Tūhourangi soldiers who lost their lives in the two world wars. ‘Te Hokowhitu-a-Tū’ (the 140 warriors of the war god) was the motto of Māori who served in the wars – the Native Contingent, which fought at Gallipoli in the First World War, its successor the Māori Pioneer Battalion, and the 28th Māori Battalion of the Second World War. The memorial was unveiled in April 1950. On the back are the words 'Kia Mau Mahara' which translates as 'Lest We Forget'.
The images we have of this memorial are not detailed enough to show the names on the plaques on inside and back of the memorial. If anyone is able to supply images that show these, please email us at email@example.com