This web feature was written by Imelda Bargas and produced by the NZHistory.net.nz team. It builds on an earlier feature written by Steve Watters.
- The Erebus story (NZALPA)
- Erebus aircraft accident (Christchurch City Libraries)
- Erebus Flight TE901 (Archives New Zealand - Christchurch)
- CVR transcript Air New Zealand Flight 901 (Aviation Safety Network)
- The 1979 Erebus crash (Te Ara)
Books and articles
- Air New Zealand McDonnell-Douglas DC10-30 ZK-NZP, Ross Island, Antarctica, 28 November 1979: Office of Air Accidents Investigation Report 79-139, Wellington, Office of Air Accidents Investigation, Ministry of Transport, 1980
- Report of the Royal Commission to Inquire into the Crash on Mount Erebus, Antarctica of a DC10 Aircraft Operated by Air New Zealand Limited, Government Printer, Wellington, 1981
- Susan Butterworth, More than law and order: policing a changing society 1945-92: the history of policing in New Zealand, volume five, Dunedin, University of Otago Press, 2005.
- Noel Gillespie, Courage Sacrifice Devotion: the history of the US Navy Antarctic VXE-6 Squadron 1955-99, Infinity Publishing.com, Philadelphia, 2005.
- Michael Guy, White out!, Alister Taylor Publishing Limited, Martinborough, 1980
- Ken Hickson, Flight 901 to Erebus, Christchurch, Whitcoulls, 1980
- John King, New Zealand tragedies: aviation accidents and disasters, Wellington, Grantham House, 1994
- C.H.N. L'Estrange, The Erebus enquiry: a tragic miscarriage of justice, Air Safety League of New Zealand, Auckland, 1995
- Stuart Macfarlane, The Erebus papers: edited extracts from the Erebus proceedings with commentary, Avon Press, Auckland, 1991
- Peter Mahon, Verdict on Erebus, Auckland, William Collins Publishers Ltd, 1984
- Tony Phillips, Gateway to the ice: Christchurch International Airport - Antarctic air links from 1955, Christchurch International Airport Ltd, Christchurch, 2001
- Neil Rennie, Conquering isolation: the first 50 years of Air New Zealand, Auckland, Heinemann Reed, 1990
- Alan Frazier and Tony Taylor, Psychological sequelae of Operation Overdue following the DC10 aircrash in Antarctica, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, 1981
- Gordon Vette with John Macdonald, Impact Erebus, Auckland, Hodder and Stoughton, 1983
A range of documentaries and television items relating to the Erebus disaster have been posted to YouTube by TVNZ.
A documentary relating to the Erebus disaster recovery operation and site investigation in Antarctica. Includes footage of the recovery of the CFR and DFDR and interviews with those involved, including Ron Chippindale, chief inspector of air accidents at the Office of Air Accidents Investigation.
A documentary relating to the Erebus disaster. Part 1 includes footage from the hours immediately after the crash, and Parts 2-5 include extensive footage of the Royal Commission of Inquiry.
A four-episode mini-series providing a detailed reconstruction of events surrounding the Erebus disaster. Includes reconstruction of the site investigation, the Royal Commission of Inquiry and subsequent legal proceedings.
Footage of an Air New Zealand Antarctic flight filmed one week before the crash of Flight TE901. Includes material filmed on board the aircraft and from the ground at Scott Base. The commentator on the flight appears to be Bob Thomson, superintendent of the Antarctic Division of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.
A news item showing footage of the crash site following the recovery operation. It includes a brief interview with one of the mountaineers first at the site, Hugh Logan.
A contemporary report relating to the release of the Royal Commission of Inquiry's report into the Erebus disaster and questions over compensation. It includes footage of testimony of Ron Chippindale, chief inspector of air accidents at the Office of Air Accidents Investigation, Charles (Brian) Hewitt, chief navigator, navigation section, Air New Zealand, First Officer Irvine, pilot, Air New Zealand, who attended the briefing with Captain Jim Collins and First Officer Greg Cassin, and Captain Bruce Crosby (sp), at the Commission's hearings. It also includes lengthy interviews with the Prime Minister, Robert Muldoon, on his response to the report and with Margaret Vennell, Senior Lecturer in Air and Space Law at Auckland University regarding legal questions on compensation.
A brief news item relating to the judgement by the Privy Council on Justice Peter Mahon's appeal.
A documentary relating to the Erebus disaster, which includes participants reflecting on the cause of the crash 20 years on. It includes interviews with Anne Cassin, the wife of one of the first officers on the flight, Greg Cassin, Captain Gordon Vette, flight safety advisor, Ron Chippindale, chief inspector of air accidents, Office of Air Accidents Investigation and Maurice Williamson, Minister of Transport.
A news item relating to the tabling in Parliament of the Mahon report by Maurice Williamson, Minister of Transport, approximately 20 years after the crash. It includes brief interviews with Williamson, Margarita Mahon, Justice Mahon's widow, and Gordon Vette, flight safety advisor.
A news item relating to the tabling in Parliament of the Mahon report by Maurice Williamson, Minister of Transport. It includes footage of Williamson, Alliance Leader Jim Anderton and NZ First MP Robyn McDonald. It also includes interviews with McDonald and Margarita Mahon, Justice Mahon's widow.
A news item relating to the 25th anniversary commemorations in Antarctica. It includes footage of wreath laying, a memorial service at Scott Base, Dave Bresnahan, head of the American base, and Sir Edmund Hillary. It also includes a brief interview with the Foreign Affairs Minister, Phil Goff.